Pulpit Rock – «Classic hike»
One of our most popular guided tours to the breathtaking Pulpit Rock. Explore one of the world’s most iconic destinations in the afternoon with a local guide on this daily classic hike. We give you the amazing views, secret tracks, the best photo spots, great exercise, fresh air, the famous Lysefjord, beautiful nature & lakes – it’s a classic!
Meeting point at the Preikestolen Mountain Lodge 1230 pm.
The starting time of the tour corresponds with the 1115 am ferry from Stavanger to Tau. From Tau get on the Tide-bus to the Preikestolen Fjellstue. Bus return 0640 pm to catch the ferry back to Stavanger at 0730 pm.
Of course we recommend you to spend the night in advance or after at the Mountain Lodge. Enjoy the nature and the facilities and meet other explorers.
The Pulpit Rock, or Preikestolen, has been named one of the world’s most spectacular viewing points by both CNN Go and Lonely Planet. It is the most visited nature attraction in Norway and is a must-see! Preikestolen is a steep cliff towering an impressive 604 meters (1982 ft) over the Lysefjord and can only be reached by hiking.
- Style: Daily guide afternoon hike from the Preikestolen Mountain Lodge (Preikestolen Fjellstue). Please make your reservation no later than 10 hours prior to the hike.
- When: Every day at 1230 pm. The starting time of the tour corresponds with the 1115 am ferry from Stavanger to Tau. From Tau get on the Tide-bus to the Preikestolen Fjellstue.
- Meeting point: The front desk at the lodge, a 2-minute walk from the main parking lot.
- Accomodation: If you choose to spend the night before or after the hike at the Mountain Lodge we include trekking poles
- Group size: Maximum 10.
- Distance: A 9km / 5,6 miles hike in hilly terrain. Total ascent 500 meters / 1640 feet .
- Difficulty: Medium. Children should be 8 years or more.
- Duration: Approx. 5-6 hours.
- What to wear: Lightweight hiking shoes or hiking boots, and clothing according to the weather.
- NB! Hiking shoes and waterproof pants/jacket can be rented at the mountain lodge.
Pulpit Rock Classic Hike is a daily, guided afternoon tour for a maximum of 10 people. The meeting point is at Preikestolen Mountain Lodge (Preikestolen Fjellstue) 1230 pm, where you meet the guide and the rest of the group. If needed, hiking shoes and waterproof pants/jacket can be rented at the mountain lodge – so no need to bring your own. Water, snacks and souvenirs can also be bought at the lodge.
On the way up the guide will lead the group on a crowd-free, secret track, a well-hidden path not seen from the main trail. The guide will make sure you find all the good photo and viewing points (even the secret ones) and will bring selected Norwegian trail snacks, warm beverage and a camera. The group will reach the stunning Preikestolen in the afternoon, allowing the you to get some fantastic photos after the major crowds have left.
The hike itself takes about 5 hours round trip and is 9 kilometers long, consisting of slightly hilly terrain. You should be in generally good physical condition in order to keep up with the group, and children should be 8 years or older. At the mountain plateau, rising 604 meters above Lysefjorden, you will have plenty of time to enjoy the spectacular view and take your selfies and pics. But remember – we do it in a safe manner!
You should wear lightweight hiking shoes or hiking boots, and clothing according to the weather.
- The company and the knowledge of the local tour host
- Visiting one of the world’s most famous viewing points
- Hiking the crowd-free secret trail
- The view of the famous Lysefjorden
- The weather, the nature and the fresh air
- Company of other trekkers
- The exercise and the awesome feeling after the hike
Who can go?
- You should be in a general good physical condition. The main trail consists of several long and steep stairways made out of stones and rocks. Especially going down can be a challenge on the knees and the legs.
- Age 7 and up.
- Local tour host
- Trail snacks and warm local beverage
- Photo service – we bring the camera and take pictures which we get access to the next day
- A warm meal after the hike at Preikestolen Mountain Lodge
What can be added?
- Trekking poles
- Rental shoes and clothes
You should bring
- Proper shoes and clothing
- Water bottle
Price from NOK 950,- per person
Price from NOK 2095,- per person – Bed & Breakfast
Other package deals
Our recommended hikes